California State Standardized Testing
This spring your child will take the California State Standardized testing, with individual scores provided to parents and the district. Many of you are familiar with the former STAR testing taken each spring for over ten years. The STAR/CST testing process has been replaced with a new system known as the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP).
A component of the testing system is the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC), which has been developed in order to assess a student’s mastery of the content standards and progress toward college and career readiness. Last spring, most students participated in the SBAC field test, however individual scores were not provided to parents or the district. This year students will take the full test and receive individual scores. A practice test for this exam is available for your review at http://sbac.portal.airast.org/practice-test/.
PYLUSD students will take the following exams this year:
- SBAC Test – Grades 3-8 and 11 in both Math and Language Arts.
- California Standards Test (CST) for Science in grades 5, 8, and 10.
PYLUSD students with an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP):
- Most students with an IEP will participate in the SBAC Test as outlined above. Accommodations are available for the test, as designated per the IEP.
- California Modified Assessment (CMA) for Science for students in grades 5, 8, and 10, if an IEP calls for such an exam.
- California Alternative Assessment Program (CAPA) has been replaced with the Alternate Performance Assessment for California for students with an alternate curriculum in grades 2-11 with an IEP that calls for such an exam.
The SBAC is taken online and is given over several days (approximately 7-8 hours total). Each school has determined the days and times the tests will be given at their site. You will receive information from your school site during the month of March and all testing will be completed by early June.
For future updates and additional information, please check the PYLUSD website (www.pylusd.org).
Candy Plahy, Assistant Superintendent, Education Services